Police were Mute Spectators..!

A line appearing almost daily in newspapers, after murders in broad daylight, religious places vandalized, or assaults committed is that the ‘police were mute spectators!’ I decided to visit a police station on the wings of my rather vivid imagination and find out why policemen had become mute spectators. ‘Sir,”…

Grant them that Peace..!

Was invited by a Jewish family living in Manhattan to share their Shabbat on a Saturday when I once visited New York, and as I watched the four candles being lit, two for the couple, my two friends and the smaller ones for their two children, I saw in their…

Good Looks.!

‘……May the outer and inward man be one..’ Socrates Years ago as a teenager, I remember seeing Gregory Peck in Mc Kennas Gold and telling myself that wow, I would love to be that man. He was one of the handsomest men I had ever seen on or off screen….

Paternity Leave Bill..!

My young neighbour Kumar whose wife was expecting a baby, rode in the lift with me to the car park below, “How’s the wife?” I asked pleasantly. “Very excited!” said Kumar mournfully. “But you don’t seem to be? Something worrying you?” I asked, “I know the name of a very…

Inflation and a Hundred Rupee Note..!

I opened the morning paper and frowned as I read headlines about inflation in India, “This is ridiculous!” I muttered to myself. “What is dad?” “This inflation business, there’s no inflation, but because there’s no news, papers make a big hullabaloo about prices going up, scaring everybody, especially voters before…

As Is Where Is Condition..!

In many an auction you hear the auctioneer offering some particular piece in an ‘as is where is condition’! Which means that it is being sold in its current condition, whatever this condition happens to be. But do we accept people as they are? Do we take our husbands as…