Ma, I’m an Idiot!

“Mother!” cried the little girl, “I don’t want to go to college anymore! The lecturer called me an idiot!” The mother left her cooking and walked over to where her daughter sat, “And are you one?” “I don’t know!” whispered the girl and the mother watched sadly as a tear…

Block Party..!

This was many years ago, while visiting my parents in America: ‘What are our neighbours doing?’ I asked my father, as I peered out of my parents’ apartment in New York. ‘They’re having a block party,’ he said peering out from his apartment. I walked downstairs onto the road and…

Miracle between Siblings..!

One of the most touching and reassuring sights I’ve seen while my children were growing up, was one day looking back from my car after I’d dropped my daughters at school and seeing my elder one putting an arm round her little sister as they entered school. Maybe it’s the…

America, Jews, and Who Killed Jesus?

In the streets of America a few decades ago, youngsters belonging to the Jewish community quite often had stones pelted at them, were fisted and shouted at, “Jesus killer!” was the taunt they heard thrown at them. “But we didn’t kill Jesus!” they wailed. “Your ancestors did!” said the righteous…

No Room in a Beggars Home..!

It was midnight when the watchman inside the beggars home heard the sound of sobbing outside. He peered through the old rusty gate and found a well-dressed old man lying crumpled. “What is it you want sir?” asked the sentry, “I want a place to stay!” sobbed the old man….

Heaven with Bach and Shakespeare..!

Tears of ecstasy rolled down my cheeks as I listened to Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony, and as the choir thundered in German, ‘Deine Zauber binden wieder, Was die Mode streng geteilt. I sang along, ‘Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt!’ The music slowly stopped, but tears kept flowing,…