A Letter From God..!

My friend Subbiah sent me this lovely little piece some time ago, which you’ve just got to read: It seemed the dove that came in through my bedroom window had a note for me in its beak. It gently allowed the paper to fall onto my bed and flew away….

Staying On in the White House..!

Suddenly many Americans are scared. “Trump won’t leave the White House!” they say, “even if he loses!” It doesn’t help that visitors standing outside the monumental presidential home in Washington imagine all sorts of suspicious activity. “We saw Trump looking from the windows!” said a visitor. “What’s wrong with that?”…

The Foreign Hand..!

No, I’m not speaking of China or Pakistan, as I see you pondering and wondering who else it could be! Years ago, Prime Ministers like Indira Gandhi and others, when faced with domestic turmoil, would point the entire country towards Pakistan or China, and unite every Indian, regardless of religion…

Uncles With Tails..!

She was just seventeen, French and weeping on my daughter’s shoulder as she came out of the restaurant where we’d partied last night. “What’s up?” I asked my little one, “Why’s she crying?” “What kind of friends do you have dad?” asked my daughter as she walked with the weeping…

Cold Walls..!

And today, a story of Smiley from a play I had written years ago. Smiley was a convict imprisoned in one of those high security jails. Smiley used to look at the high walls that stood between him and the world outside, and longed to be free. He vowed that…

Lyncher or Linchpin..!

Lynch is a bad word today, with mobs roaming the country lynching for the smallest reason and the Supreme Court moving in to frame an anti-lynching law. But there’s a choice, would you be a lyncher or linchpin? “Linchpin?” you ask. Journey with me to yonder village; you hear the…

Testing Times..!

Why did my wife go down with the Covid-19 virus? Isolated for fifteen days, initially with a high viral count? Why did God allow this to happen? Such thoughts rankled in me. A few days before the viral attack, a young friend, from another faith had rung me up, “Uncle,…

Are YOU Courteous at Home?

“Your husband,” I told the pretty lady standing at the entrance of the park where I walk everyday, “is such a polite man!” “Why what does he do?” asked the lady. “He wishes everybody during his morning walk,” said the chairman of the committee which maintained the park. “He helps…

Feel Good Headlines..!

“Economy at Doorstep of Recovery, says RBI guv” the headlines in today’s paper said and immediately felt a sense of deep peace settling over me. I was startled out of my restful repose by the clanging of my doorbell. Hastily wearing my mask, I opened the door, to see two…