Poor Mirabai Chanu..!

Poor Mirabai Chanu! What a weight rested on her, as one point three billion pinned all their hopes on her weight lifting shoulders! What a shame, that we, with the world’s second largest population, are still trailing other countries like Japan, with an area just about that of little Kerala,…

Vantage Vintage View..!

‘Twas just before the Covid wave a friend called, “I’ve got tickets for the IPL matches, want to come Bob?” “You crazy?” I asked him, “I’ve got my old TV and where else can you watch 18 balls being bowled per over?” “There’s only six balls Bob!” “On my TV…

Sorry..!

Quite often I see an apology in the newspapers for some news item wrongly reported, or see a crime movie where the slick lawyer says, “I’m sorry your honour!’ But in both cases, I know it was either the fear of litigation or repercussions from His Lordship that brought on…

A Showpiece Dagger..!

It’s a small showpiece dagger I hold in my hand, a present from the Mayor of Batangas in the Philippines, when I’d visited the country many years ago. He was a young mayor and I heard quite a gangster and war lord. There was a reception at the mayor’s palace…

Enjoy Your Joy..!

My wife, a medical doctor, is quite strict about the sweets I am allowed to have, and when she does give me permission, laughs as I take it, sit on my favourite rocking chair, and relish the delicacy! “Why are you closing your eyes?” she asks chuckling away. “Because I…